Save Caridina multidentata dropped eggs

I successfully hatched Caridina multidentata (Amano shrimp ) from eggs which female dropped.

As you can see on picture Caridina multidentata (Amano, Japanese Swamp ) female dropped almost all eggs. I marked with orange just two bunch of eggs but there was more. Sorry for bad photo but I think you can recognize the most important details.

I wait more than one month
and got nothing.

I was disappointed because I wait more than one month for hatching and also it wasn't first time to lose eggs. Usually female carrying eggs from 4 to 6 weeks. Only few larvae (some calls it: zoe) was successfully hatched and all other eggs was on the bottom of the container. My disappointment was even bigger because I know that female carry few hundred up to thousand eggs.

I decided to save eggs. I read on the Internet that few people successfully hatched eggs from dead Neocaridina shrimp but found only fuzzy data about saving eggs from Amano shrimp. People agree that female can drop eggs if they are not fertilized or because of stress. I was suspicious about unfertilized eggs because found some larvae which swim around. Also I moved females in separate tanks in different stage, because some author suggest to move female in early stage and other in late stage of carrying eggs. No matter when I did it they dropped eggs almost regularly.

I decided to try
artificial hatching.

It was challenge for me because I never try to do something like that. I started my search on the Internet and as I already mention it found data about artificial hatching other kind of freshwater shrimp.

Caridina multidentada female

Process wasn't so difficult.
First I moved female back to common tank.
Second I cleaned the container, as good as possible, take care not to damage eggs. I tried to clean from all kind of detitrus but as you can see on the first picture I didn't do it very well because I was excited and try to act fast.
Third I replaced half of the water with fresh water from the aquarium.
On the end I turned on air pump to stirring and oxygenate water and on then closed container (made few holes on the lid ) to prevent dust to fall inside, lose water because air pump was very strong but enable air to circulate.
I put container on the top of aquarium to sure similar temperature and other conditions.

On the end more than
40 larvae swim around.

In first 24 h I found more than 20 larvae. I was really excited because my first attempt was successful. In next 24 h I found new 20 larvae.

After two days I stopped experiment because I had to travel outside of the city. I know it is not so much larvae but this try last only 2 days. Next time I will be better prepared. Some improvement will be:
- 2 liter bottle instead container which I used this time,
- not so strong air pump and
- maybe is good idea to put eggs on fishnet or nylon socks direct over air bubbles.

This experiment was successful and now I need to wait about 2 month larvae to grow enough to transform into the shrimps.

Comments (0) - Leave a Comment